I don’t know about you, but soup is one of my favorite things to have on a low carb diet. It is a great way to get vegetables and proteins while mixing up my typical fish plate, no potatoes, sub heavy salad.
Here is a great recipe to check out if you are in the mood for soup:
3 tbsp butter (or oil)
1.5 medium onions- chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/2 big leek – chopped
1 big zucchini – chopped into small pieces
(optional – red and green peppers, finely chopped)
1 can tomatoes – diced is good
(optional if you can have the extra carbs – 1 small jar salsa (watch for added sugar)
1 small (the tiny ones) can tomato purée
1 chicken stock cube (I use Knorr)
1 vegetable stock cube
2.5 liters (2.69 quarts) Water
1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
700 grams (1.5 pound) chicken thighs, boneless. (You can use also cook and shred a whole chicken or use 3 cooked medium chicken breasts but the thighs have the most fat and flavour and are usually cheap) – Also note that this soup isn’t exact science, if you want more (or less) chicken or veggies, just add some.
200 gr (7.7 ounces) cream cheese
For each bowl of soup before serving:
1 tbsp Sour cream
3 tbsp or so shredded cheese (cheddar is good)
- In a large enough pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, leek and zucchini. Swish around for a few minutes until soft. the point isn’t to brown them, just soften up a little bit.
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato purée. Stir.
- Add the water, stock cubes and spices. You might want to hold back on some of the spices and add the rest towards the end of cooking the soup in case it’s too spicy for your taste.
- Let the soup simmer for an hour.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the chicken. Cook it in a pan or in your oven and chop into bite size pieces.
- After the soup has simmered for an hour, add the chicken and let is simmer for 15 more minutes, then add the cream cheese. When the cream cheese is mixed into the soup, taste it and make adjustments if needed.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of shredded cheese in each bowl (or have people help themselves with that)
- Enjoy your hearty and healthy Mexican chicken soup!
You can check out the full recipe here